Double R Productions



presents



KISSES FROM CHO CHO



sagas and stories of one family fancying the views while climbing the mountains of life



(or at least trying to fancy those views and climb those mountains)



Thursday, December 2, 2010

Traditions Lost (reprint from blog post Sept 2009)

So, when Bernina was tiny I decided that on each birthday I would present my children with a book that represented something about their previous year of life and write a special inscription for the birthday kiddo just from their mom. I had visions of the vast library of books they'd share with their children for generations to come...
I did it for several years, at least until Slick was 3 or 4 but then for various reasons the tradition lost its punch and has not been followed consistently (okay I'll admit it, not at all). But at least some of the kiddos had at least a few treasured reminders of their younger years and their momma's thoughts on them.
Well, either they don't make books like they used to or my kids are especially hard on tomes but it seems the life cycle for picture books around our place isn't generations or even close to decades. I know I could tuck them away to be only read on special occasions but that is really not my style and therefore, several of our special birthday books are falling apart and with them my special inscriptions!

SO...I've decided for posterity's sake (again) to post on our blog those special inscriptions so they don't get lost in the book repair shop...don't feel obligated to read, it is more to soothe my worries! I'll probably post them as I come across them so don't get confused when strange book reviews pop up! XXOO

2 comments:

  1. That's a awesome tradition, I would like to do something similar. One thing we want to do (we'll see if it ever happens), is to make a little book for each kid about their name and where it comes from. At least right now we are big on meaningful names and I think it would be neat for the kids to have something tangible. My biggest problem is that there are so many neat traditions that I want to start that I'm never going to be able to do them all--I'll have to just pick a few and not stretch myself too thin.

    Hey, we get to see you soon!Yay

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a really cool idea! I like it... maybe Siena and I will have to try it. I have a feeling that Calvin and Hobbes is going to be appropriate for Cyrus for most of his kiddo years. This kid's already going non-stop, and he can't even move yet.

    ReplyDelete