Double R Productions



presents



KISSES FROM CHO CHO



sagas and stories of one family fancying the views while climbing the mountains of life



(or at least trying to fancy those views and climb those mountains)



Monday, January 3, 2011

Nine O'Clock Versus One O'Clock (Eleven Is Out...The Singles Have A Monopoly On That One)

So, I've changed my tune.  Perhaps, it is an attempt to focus on the positive but I think it might be for real.  My love affair with 9AM church is over.  I know, call me crazy, but really you might want to call me undisciplined (more on that in a moment).  But whatever you call me I think I am going to enjoy this 1 PM church schedule for the next year.  Those individuals who have perfected the art of a perfect sabbath observance might not get where I am coming from but I figured something out this first Sunday of the year.  For some of us (meaning me), 1 PM church time means a definate uptick in the level of Sabbath holiness around our place.

 Let me explain (please note, Senior's Sunday looks much different than ours and he shouldn't be judged by any of the following confessions...he hasn't been home before church (or probably after church for that matter) for at least a decade and when he finally gets to experience an entire Sabbath day with his family I am sure his first order of business will be to get the rest of our priorities in order)...Anyways, 9 AM church begins in the hours prior with waking and getting kids presentable (kudos to the three older girls who definately help me with the younger crowd) and usually culminates in a mad dash complete with yelling, hollering, speeding, breaking the law (kids don't ever seem to get buckled in their carseats on the drive to church), and various other unbecoming behaviors.  Noon rolls around and we head home. Worn out by the 1. late night of the previous Saturday fun 2. the mere sight of a disaster zone left behind in the wake of the abovementioned mad dash to get to church and 3. the realization that a nice "Sunday" dinner might cheer a lonely bishop after a ten hour day, the rest of the afternoon is spent letting the kids entertain themselves (which often means a free-for-all)  while I (and the kids that are feeling helpful) get things put back together and get dinner put together. Hmmmmmmm...

I've often said I love 9 AM church so I can have the rest of the day to enjoy.  But maybe that is not a good thing when when it comes to keeping me on the straight and narrow as far as my Sabbath worship is concerned.  The first Sunday of 2011 worked like this:  Sleep in a little.  Arise.  Enjoy the peace and quiet as the kids still slept a little.  Spend an hour studying the gospel doctrine lesson (as a participant, not a teacher), casually visit with kids as they wake, explain to Junior and Queen Bubs that we are going to enjoy some Church music instead of watching "shows" before Church,  spend sometime with Slick problem-solving how she can make fasting a more positive experience, update some Personal Progress with Bernina and Giada, start getting clothes on and curling Giada's, Queen Bubs' and Slick's hair (that was actually Bernina who handled hair needs), got crockpot cooking, rolls rising, and jello setting, finished getting kids and self ready, supervised Junior and Bubs packing the church bag, hopped in the car and pulled up to the church with 5 minutes to spare and all looking at least 10 times more put together than any Sunday in the previous 50 weeks (disclaimer:  even with 1 PM church Junior might end up with sport socks on and Queen Bubs might be wearing purple sandals instead of her appropriate patent leather shoes)  Enjoyed a three hour block with kids that seemed alert and happy to be there (remember, I didn't have to drag them out of bed and feed them toast on the way to church).  Came home to the scent of a yummy crockpot full of dinner.  Set the table, finished up a few projects with the kids and enjoyed a nice meal when Senior finally walked in the door.  Think I'll tire of 1 PM before the year is out...Only time will tell but for now I am loving it!  (But if anyone is listening...I would really, really love that coveted 11 AM slot)!

2 comments:

  1. It all makes sense to me....only downside is now it will be really a challenge for us to have our Sunday family get togethers....this past year when we were all on 9-12 ig seemed much easier to get together and have a decent meal ready and not finish eating at 9 PM....always trade offs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your Sunday makes me feel seriously inadequate. I'm afraid the 1:00 schedule has (so far) encouraged oversleeping and poorly planned meals at my house. Maybe your lovely description will encourage me to try harder this week!

    ReplyDelete